Friday, December 17, 2021

Mini Snowflake 14

This is the largest mini flake at 2.5 inches across done in size 20 Lizbeth thread. This one is pretty and fairly dense and make a nice all around snowflake that isn't puny and has enough structure to hold it's shape.


It took me a while to draw this one because I copied a previous design and accidentally renamed it so that I lost the original and had to re draw it before starting on 14. Good thing these are small designs!



I was asked on Facebook "Do your little snowflakes come out stiff enough to hang as is or do they still need to be stiffened with something?" That's a hard question to answer because a number of variables come into play. I know some people are firm believers in stiffening their lace but personally, I rarely stiffen my tatting since I see no purpose to it.  


First of all, whether the lace is stiff enough depends on the design and so far all of the mini designs will probably hold up. Designs the have skinny little arms without much support will need a little help. This design called "Flowerpoints" from my Tatted Flurries book is 5.5 inches across and it's a perfect example of what I mean. It has really long, really skinny arms without a lot of structure to hold them up.



Secondly it depends on whether you shuttle tat or needle tat. Needle tatting isn't as firm. Before you needle tatters get upset, let me explain what I mean. Needle tatting forms the tatting on the needle, so that your tatting will always conform to the size of the needle. When you remove the needle, you leave behind the void left by the needle. If you use a big needle, it will leave behind a big hole, it has to. A big hole won't make for firm lace. If you are a skilled needle tatter working very tightly with a tiny needle, then your lace will be firm enough to hold it's shape. Shuttle tatting forms the stitches directly on the thread and is typically a firmer lace. Thirdly, then, whether you shuttle tat or needle tat, it depends on how tightly you tat.



I shuttle tat and I tat tightly. I have a display stand my husband made for me that is currently holding about 30 snowflakes that you can see here. Do they look like they need stiffening? None of these snowflakes have been stiffened, except for the 3D design on the top right. Do they look like they need stiffening? They have been hanging like this since they were made in 2010 and they haven't wilted yet. 


The 3D snowflake shown on the top right on the stand was stiffened. I wanted to be able to use it as a tree topper and I didn't want a limp looking piece of tatting. I wet the snowflake and then applied white glue diluted with water. It's stiff enough to stand on it's own or to be used as a tree topper. Like the other designs it has been hanging on the stand for the last 11 years. and is still holding it's shape.


Beaded designs  may not hold their shape as the beads will weigh down the lace and make the arms flop. The lace without beads may stay in shape, but once you add beads everything changes.


For more information you may want to look at this post on Blocking, Stiffening and Storing Tatting.

http://sharonstattedlace.blogspot.com/2007/04/blocking-stiffening-and-storing-tatting.html

BTW I mentioned that I must have designed about 100 snowflakes and out of curiosity, I pulled the snowflakes off the stand and out of my drawer and I currently still have 89 snowflake designs that I haven't given away. I'll post a picture of them all when I get a chance. I have another mini on the shuttles and more thread on the ball, so I guess I'm not done yet.





2 comments:

muskaan said...

This is among the best designs in this mini series! Thank you for all the patterns. 💖
Love the long-armed one, too.
Great tips.

Marilee Rockley said...

Wow, that's a lot of snowflakes you have designed! All beautiful, and excellent tips on having tatted lace hold its shape.