Friday, December 07, 2018

Too many designs. Too little time. Too little thread.

I have some ideas. I planned on doing another snowflake with a daisy centre and I have the daisy tatted with both shuttles full of thread attached. Then I noticed on Facebook several people commenting that they really liked the snowflake with the hearts.... Which sidetracked me into thinking of more designs incorporating hearts... Then I wondered if it would be possible to design something starting with a central ring and really long chains terminating in dimpled hearts... And then I took a look a the daisy and realized that it was the same size as the rose used in the Hearts'N'Flower snowflake. So I started drawing it out and then realized that it's possible but difficult to throw a dimpled ring off the top of another ring. It's even more difficult to do it 6 times in a design.

That's when I pulled up the earlier drawings that utilize chains to make the daisy shape and they'll definitely work.

So now my dilemma. I've misplaced all of my shuttles except for the ones that are too loose and the bobbins spin. Or my wooden ones that take too long to load and unload. Or the ones that are full of thread, but already have a daisy attached to them. I have designs floating in my head that have to get out NOW or I'll lose them and no shuttles available. Do I tat like mad to get the daisy design which is currently laying limp in the back recesses of my noggin and is sure to be a disaster because I'm just not feeling it. Or do I wind a couple of worn out bobbins with rubber inserts and limp along getting these fresh designs out into thread?

Then there's the other problem. I'm running out of white thread. I started this exercise with a full ball of Aunt Lydia's size 20 thread and I can already see the cardboard core. I can feel a bunch more flakes in the offing but I'm going to run out of thread before I run out of ideas and the last time I checked the store, they didn't have any more. Lots of size 10, which I don't need because I was gifted with 20 balls of the stuff that I never use, but no size 20.

There are too many designs that want tatting, not enough time to tat, not enough working shuttles, and not enough thread to play with. It's enough to cause a nervous breakdown!

4 comments:

God's Kid said...

Wow! Would it be possible to draw out the ideas somewhat at least so you can try and remember most if not all of them until you have the thread you need?? Just a thought.
Can't wait to see all your wonderful snowflakes to come!! :)

Jane McLellan said...

Sounds exciting! Take a coffee break and then make a plan. Look forward to seeing your ideas come to fruition.

Ninetta said...

Write it down, if possible, and then breathe and think next year it's another year... looking forward to see what you're up to... thank you very much for all patterns you've shared.

Grace Tyler said...

Use your size 10 "waste" thread to tat up your new designs. And buy more shuttles or bobbins! Although it sure seems like there are never enough shuttles, no matter how many I buy.