Thursday, December 06, 2018

Another daisy centre

When I'm designing I have no idea whether I'll need a lot of thread, or just a little bit so I tend to just fill my shuttles and tat. Tatting lots of snowflakes has meant that I've ended up with lots of fairly long cut off thread ends. That can get wasteful so sometimes I just start tatting with the left over bits and add in more left over thread as I run out just to use up the thread bits. Sometimes I end up adding in new thread 2 or 3 times in a small snowflake, but the alternative is throwing out a lot of thread.

I'm playing around with 6 ring daisy centres which usually end with a split ring so that you can climb out to the next row. The last one I did I was using up some of the left over thread from previous snowflakes and I've run out of thread just as I was finishing the daisy so it didn't seem worth while to tat a split ring just to tat a partial chain and then have to stop and add thread. This sort of haphazard way of tatting means that I always have to stop and think about it when I draw it out. I need to draw it for what should be done with full shuttles, not what I actually tatted doing my trial piece.

This next snowflake is the second one I drew out, but the arms look too straight... or maybe not. In any event it's 2.75 inches from point to point.

As usual, here's the pattern.


That makes 12 snowflakes I've designed since November 7th. I'm not including the Chained Flake because it was designed a long time ago and just drawn up recently. I wonder if I can come up with a few more before I run out of steam?

3 comments:

Margarets designer cards said...

Another beautiful snowflake
Which could easily be turned into an ice drop, if I get time I will do it.

Kathy Niklewicz said...

I'm just delighted to see this burst of activity on your blog. Sounds like you finally have time to devote to designing; and you haven't lost your drawing expertise, either! It's so generous of you to share these wonderful designs with us!

We will never forget all your work developing and maintaining the 25-Motif Challenge for all those years! It's still an excellent reference site, with its wealth of techniques and patterns - the first gathering place for 'newby' bloggers and tatters of all skill levels where we were essentially 'introduced' to each other. It's amazing to see how tatting has evolved due to the internet and particularly the 25-Motif Challenge. It boggles my mind to think about the days when we had to hunt for magazines in stores or libraries to find elusive glimpses of tatted lace!

God's Kid said...

Another very nice snowflake!! :)