Saturday, December 08, 2018

Hexagon or Snowflake

Hello, hello, anyone here? I found a new bobbin and opted for working with one good and one so so shuttle and whipped through this snowflake that I had roughly sketched out. A proper daisy made with rings would have had a tighter, more structured centre that would have lent the design more stability. I didn't want to repeat the chain up to the sides of the dimpled ring, but still wanted to isolate the heart shape, so there are long connecting chains from side to side. My initial drawing had chains going from the middle of the long chain to the pair of rings over the heart, but I could see as I was tatting it that it was going to make for a huge unsupported chain so I chose to go with a shorter chain joined back to the side of the ring ad 2 short chains between. There are still points. Sort of.

This design is about 4 inches across from point to point, but it's too light and airy to hold it's shape without stiffening. It would be OK hung in a window, but it will flop over hung on a tree and the outline is more hexagon than snowflake. I've designated this design as difficult only because it has a split dimpled ring following a split chain. Some people have a heard time getting a dimpled ring to close and when you add in the complication of making the dimpled ring split, it just makes it that much harder. It's at exactly that point where you've already tatted half of the design and you have to pull extra hard to close the dimpled ring, that the thread is likely to break.

I can't make my mind up whether I like this design or not. I could add another row to make the points more pointy, but after a good night's sleep I think I have an idea for doing it with a proper 6 ring daisy, which luckily I already have tatted! LOL

BTW I'm merrily zipping along designing and drawing snowflakes and posting the results here, but not getting a lot of feedback. Has anyone tried tatting these designs? Any suggestions for new ones?
Off to tat more flakes.

6 comments:

God's Kid said...

I like when you have the hearts in the design, I think it makes it more special!! :)
Great snowflake!! :)

Grace Tyler said...

I really like these new designs! I'm going to try some this week.

Fox said...

Very pretty design!

Madtatter80 said...

That's a cute design 😊

Margarets designer cards said...

I love the hearts in your design, lovely snowflake
I have not had time to tat one yet. But I will

StringyDogs said...

Honestly, Woman. That is too cute! I love it.
Thank you for sharing the pattern.

Linda R.