Thursday, November 29, 2018

One stitch makes a difference

Right at the outset I have to say the perle cotton I've used for the past couple of days, is really crappy to work with. It's some old dollar store thread I have in my stash and since these 8 point designs aren't going to graduate into being anything other than experiments, I figured I might as well use up the garbage thread. The up side of the equation is that I use up the crappy thread, the down side is that it's hard to work with, it splits like mad, and it's really hard to maintain an even tension when the thread is so squishy.

That's right, I re-tatted the 8 point design with a larger centre. One more stitch between the picots in the starting ring so it's 4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4. This time it took very little persuasion to lay flat. The rings don't overlap and the points of the design are fatter and more spread out. You can see the difference when the 2 samples are laid side by side. The first one has narrower points yet the overall size of the motifs are almost the same.
You can see the difference when the 2 samples are laid side by side. The first one has narrower points yet the overall size of the motifs are almost the same, both being about 3.5 inches from point to point. I was thinking that I might tat this design using multiple motifs joined together doing row after row of motifs in different colours. That's not going to happen because I've already fallen out of love with it. Told you. I have the attention span of a gnat.

I have another snowflake on the shuttles, but I guess I better take out enough time to get this one drawn out so y'all can tat your own.

4 comments:

God's Kid said...

Wow!!! What a difference a few stitches make!!
It's wonderful!!! :)

IsDihara said...

Fascinating and fabulous!

StringyDogs said...

I admire your tenacity. This looks great!

Linda R

Madtatter80 said...

It is lovely and I understand about crappy thread I figured I would use it for weaving cause I would get mad struggling with it 💙❄💙