Wednesday, November 28, 2018

It didn't work- yes it did

I added 2 repeats to the November 8 snowflake to see what it would look like. I started with the same ring with 2 more picots and went from there. It looked ruffled when I was tatting it and the ruffles didn't come out when I stretched it. I did a quick blocking, pinning just the outer picot of the points and sprayed it with a shot of alcohol to see if it would pull into shape. The alcohol works the same as water, but dries quicker so that I could see the results.

The finished motif is about 3.5 inches across done in perle cotton size 8 and some of the rings overlap. What do you think? Still ruffled isn't it? I might be able to tweak it possibly by changing the central ring to 4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4, but I don't want to spend any more time on it, since I don't think it's going to work out as I'd imagined.

The good news is, there's another snowflake off the shuttles. This one looks more like a snowflake, it keeps the daisy centre, so maybe I need to call it a "flowerflake" like Muskaan suggested. It's light and airy and fairly quick to tat resulting in a snowflake that's about 3.25 inches point to point done in size 20 thread.

Row 1 ends in a split chain and Row 2 uses lock joins to connect to the first row. Row 3 uses the second shuttle to throw rings off the top of the chains to make the points and that's as complicated as it gets as you can see from the pattern.


The next idea I tried went nowhere fast, so I'm thinking of going back to the rose I started with and see where I end up.

5 comments:

muskaan said...

I actually Love the one on top --- a radiating stellar effect is at play and the small rings look good. I think we are too focused on precision and flatness and sometimes lose sight of the beauty in 'squished imperfections'. I would really love to tat that top one in case you ever think of sharing the count.

Glad you like "fkowerflakes" :-D

God's Kid said...

More great snowflakes!! :)
You sure are tatting a flurry of flakes!

Ninetta said...

They're all beautiful!

West Pine Creations said...

I love the top snowflake, it actually looks like it is moving (radiating).

Coretta of corettadeesign said...

I too am intrigued by the top one.