Monday, November 12, 2018

Look Ma, it's a dud!

I liked the daisy shape on an earlier design so I thought I'd try it again. After completing the daisy I didn't really want something that used a lot of split chains so I thought I'd just outline the daisy shape with more chain. I like the effect and started to create another row that would bring in the snowflake shape. I didn't like the effect I was getting so I undid what I had started and began again. I didn't want a lot of rows so I thought I'd do something that went out instead of around.

Once I had completed one arm I could see it was going to start bunching up again so I quit before I got too invested. This is another dud although I may keep the first rows of chain and revisit the design at a later date. I've already got the next one on the shuttles, but I'm not sure I'm going to like it any better that the first few.

Maybe I'll go back to the original design. I liked it but it was too time consuming, only at this rate I may spend all my tatting time creating and throwing out designs as not suitable and still not have anything ready for the Christmas cards.

I had the same problem the first year I did snowflakes to send out and ended up doing a whole bunch, all different. That would have been OK if I'd remembered to write down what I sent to who so that I could rotate them for the next year. Since I didn't keep record I had to design an all new snowflake, which started this whole thing of sending a different snowflake with our Christmas cards.

I guess I'd better get cracking as the mailing date will soon be upon us. Of course if the post office is on strike, the cards aren't going to go anywhere anyway!

4 comments:

God's Kid said...

I am sure you will figure something out. Maybe you have to tat a motif for a break and maybe it will inspire you. ;)

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Designing sure is a time consuming process! I really liked your first one!

StringyDogs said...

Your title made me laugh. That is so much my humor, and a humor that a lot of people don't understand.

I've never wasted so much thread as I have in designing. "But, it looked so good on the paper!" Oy.

Perhaps only 1 ring in the petal and more chain between the petal join and the petal tip? o/'\,,/'\o If that makes any sense..

You will certainly figure it all out. Best of luck! (for speedy figuring)

Linda R

muskaan said...

I'm seeing the germ of another idea here - switch your focus to the topmost single ring, using it as a central ring, with the arms emerging out. I think you might have a winner there, with those 3 inner rings forming a dense collection around the central ring. No dud ;-P