Tuesday, November 06, 2018

Colour this doily done

I haven't been blogging a lot. Boy, is that an understatement! We (that would be mostly he) did a lot of work on the old washer before we finally decided enough was enough and bought the new one. (So far I love it.) For some reason when hubby is working on a project I get roped into holding the light, holding one side of the probe for a continuity tester, holding up the long end of the lumber going through the saw, or just generally being a second set of eyes and a spare hand for whatever he's doing. So while I don't have much to show for my activity, he finishes up a lot of projects. When we bought out new washer and dryer, hubby wasn't satisfied with putting new machines on the concrete basement floor, so he built stands for both to elevate them off the concrete. He lifts, I position. See, I'm just a third hand.

I did manage to finish off a project I started in April of 2017. I started with a handful of colours and and I wanted to make a doily that progressed from one colour to the next and used the 3 solid and 2 variegated colours.

I posted some of the progress as it happened and I took pictures of each section, but I don't think I ever showed the final row.

Part of the delay was that I didn't like how the final row ended. I had 8 widely separated points and while the design was symmetrical I kind of wanted more shallow points in between and then some more rows finishing off with a single row of chain in pink.

I wanted those shorter in between points, but after 3 or 4 unsuccessful attempts, I put it aside. I must never put things aside. Putting them aside means never finishing. If I don't finish it NOW, it isn't going to get finished. Last week hubby finally decided to do his weight lifting in the basement and cleared his weights off the end table. Since the table looked bare he suggested that I ought to put a doily on it. So I pulled out the unfinished doily and took another crack at it. No. Nope. Nothing was working. Then I spread it out and measured it. 13.75 inches from point to point. That's pretty much the size you want for a finished doily. So I cut off the offending short points that weren't working and called it done.

I don't love it and I don't hate it. It did what I was planning on doing and now I can reel the thread off my shuttles, pack these balls of thread away, free up some space in my end table and start something new.

Snowflakes anyone?

3 comments:

God's Kid said...

Beautiful doily and great snowflake!! :)

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I have many unfinished projects that just need to be done. I agree... if it gets set aside, it's forgotten. On to the snowflakes!

Margarets designer cards said...

Beautiful doily, love the snowflake