Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Sometimes...

Sometimes, designs just flow off the shuttles one after the other... and sometimes they crash and burn.  Did you know that you can make a heart shaped cake using 1 round cake pan and one square cake pan? It's true. You bake the cakes, cut the round one in half and place the halves on either side of one corner of the square cake. Once it's iced it looks like a heart. So I figured I should be able to do a square motif and add a couple of half round motifs on it and it should make a heart.

I got this far, ran out of thread, realized I should have structured it differently because I had a bunch of empty space where I needed to work the half circles and decided to go on to the next design instead.

I thought it might be interesting to start with a dimpled ring and add some more chains like a rose, which seems good in theory, but not so much in execution. The dimple at the top disappears, so scratch one more. Now that I'm writing about it, I think I may have tried this idea before, but maybe I'm just having a senior moment.

The lack of success prompted me to look through some images of filigree hearts which inspired this drawing.

It seems executable, and it was, up to a point. I tatted the dimpled ring at the bottom using a stitch count I though would work, but it ended up being too small. After I undid it, I started again, but the retro tatting frayed the thread and it broke before I could close the ring. I re-tatted the dimpled ring which ended up with an enormous 84 stitches in it and as you can see it won't close.

I might be able to fight with it enough to get it to close, but I suspect that the thread will break before that happens. I might revisit this idea, reworking the top section bringing the 2 sided closer together and consequently making the dimpled ring smaller, or not.

When I look at Susan K Fuller's "Heart's Desire", which I think is the prettiest design I've ever seen, and compare my own to it, it makes me want to throw in the towel.

Sometimes, you just need to take a step back. or you'd drive yourself crazy. What's that you say? Too late, I'm already bonkers! LOL

6 comments:

muskaan said...

The drawing would certainly make a wonderful heart, as your half-tatted model already shows.
The 84 st Dimple heart is easily fixed by using a mock ring instead of true ring.
I hope you continue, crazy or not 😉

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I give you a lot of credit for even trying to design heart patterns! I tried last year, and I've never been so frustrated. I do like your thought process! Pass the cake, please!

God's Kid said...

Looks and sounds like you have some wonderful ideas, and some great tries!!! :) Maybe they will inspire other tatters to try and help you out-even though you came up with the ideas. ;)

Marilee Rockley said...

Designing is often just lots of work, do-overs, and trying again. That's why people need to appreciate all the effort that was put into a lovely pattern.
You'll get your heart idea finished beautifully, keep going!

Melissa Pace said...

Great job. Love all of the designs. Thank you for sharing!

Kathy Niklewicz said...

It's fascinating to observe the process!

It is amazing how many heart patterns tatters have come up with, and you're designing even more! And the hearts come in all sizes! I always admired Susan Fuller's 'classic' design. I was pleased that she gave Frivole permission to diagram it.

The filigree drawing does look doable, and I'm sure you will be successful.