Thursday, January 31, 2019

No tatting, because, - snow

I haven't been able to tat because I've been shoveling snow. When I haven't been shoveling, I've been curled up with a heating pad on the aching freezing muscles. Baby, it's COLD outside. I did revisit a design and it turned out pretty good. However, I tatted it in 2 parts. Remember this mess?
I like the concept, but in execution it flopped. I re-tatted it, enlarging the small rings and shortening the chains to the leaves at the bottom of the flowers. In the design the threads end at the top and the dimpled ring is at the bottom. So I took a separate thread and tatted a dimpled ring which I joined to the top segment and added a small ring at the bottom just to finish off this separate segment. After that I more or less followed the drawing I'd originally created and it worked.

Having completed it, I'm thinking that I could add in the dimpled ring as a split ring, rather than as a separate little section.
I already, 1- switched shuttles at the top of the heart to change the arc of the chain, 2- did long split chains that ended in split rings (twice), and 3- doing a split dimpled ring followed by another split chain to get the threads back in the right place is just adding even more weirdness to the design. It's pretty enough, but I haven't drawn it out because the drawing would be different depending on whether that dimpled ring is done as a separate bit, or as a split dimpled ring. So unless y'all are absolutely crazy about it, I don't think I'm going to draw it. Of course you're welcome to play around with the original drawing if you want to.

In the meantime I have a different drawing to try out and an idea for a 5 lobe rose I'm thinking of playing around with.

3 comments:

God's Kid said...

Pretty heart!! :)

muskaan said...

I 💗 it!!! Wouldn't mind tatting it 😆😉
My humble suggestions in case you diagram it ...
1. Work the dimpled ring as a separate motif and attach as required.
2. Instead of long split chains which might put off some tatters, diagram as separate rounds. Advanced tatters can choose to do it continuously.
More tatters will be enthused to work it if it is simple.

Sharon said...

It looks like Blogger dumped my reply. I did work the dimpled ring separately, but I thought that adding it in as a split dimpled ring as part of the second row would be more efficient, but that would mean following it up with a long split chain to get the thread back in position. All of which makes it complex and as you say, it puts off some tatters.