Sunday, July 30, 2023

Tree trunk

We've either had weather too hot to go outside, or too much rain to go outside. Either way we've been mostly stuck in the house instead of out on the scooters. We uploaded some videos that we did with the cheap body cam, but the movements were choppy even after applying stabilization software and we're dying to do them again with the GoPro because it's just so much nicer. We'll just have to wait for better weather.


Of course bad weather means I've had some time for stitching. I decided to start the embroidered landscape with the large tree on the right, working with 3 strands of thread. To get a more realistic tree trunk I used one dark and one medium brown. I cut the same length of thread for each colour and separated each of them them into 3 strands giving me 2 sets of medium and 2 sets of dark threads. I put one set of each colour aside. Then out of the second set, I pulled 1 strand out of the dark thread and 1 strand out of the medium thread. I paired 1 strand of dark with 2 of medium and 1 strand of medium with 2 of dark. 


That gave me two multi-colour sections of thread of similar but different shades. Then I used a split stitch on the trunk and limbs. When the first two sections of thread were used up, I repeated the process on the sections I had laid aside. It resulted in a nice effect on the tree trunk.


I don't really want to work on the tree leaves yet, so I think I'll start on the flowers at the bottom next.


2 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

Yes, very effective.

Lavinia said...

The photo doesn't show it up too well, but it looks like a very nice effect on the tree trunk.