After I did the first ring neatly hiding ends, I realized I had only put 3 picots on it so I thought I'd do the next snowflake vertical. What I mean by that, is working the design from centre to outer rim and back to centre, for each of the 6 sides of the snowflake. I threw in a cloverleaf to broaden out the section of the snowflake and then had no inspiration of where to go from there so I lamely attached the chain to the side of the ring and slapped on a large ring at the point. Coming down the second side of the point, the chain had nothing to join into yet and the join was on the wrong side of the chain.
You can do it by slipping a spacer in at the appropriate point so that you can join into it later but it's what I call an "ugly" design. Not ugly in final appearance, but ugly in the way it needs to be worked.
After a couple of repeats I ran out of thread and couldn't whip up enough enthusiasm for the design to add in the thread to finish it. It's disgusting and I'm not going to finish it.