Monday, October 03, 2022

4 ring motif bookmark 1

OK I'm out of practice and keep forgetting things that I ought to include like the starting point and the direction of work, and how to use the software and... you get the idea. 

When I'm on a designing roll, I often use the same bit as a starting point. What I mean is that if I design one thing with a rose base or a daisy base or some other little bit, I often design a lot of things with the same base. It lets me do a lot of, "what if". Like, what if I make this ring bigger or do a smaller pair of rings instead. I already  know what my stitch counts have to be in order to work because I have a functional sample to base things on. It also lets me start with a partially written pattern because I just have to draw in the bits I did differently and change the stitch count if necessary. 

I started several bookmarks using a little 4 ring base motif. Some of them had the little motifs joined 2 rings in a square and others with the motifs joined point to point in a diamond shape.


This one alternates a diamond with a square. That means that the rings in the diamond shape are split down the middle and the square shape ones are split out the side. In both cases half the motif is tatted with the first shuttle and half with the second shuttle. (Except for the first and last motifs, obviously.)


Since this design was intended to be done with one solid and one variegated colour, the second row starts over rather than climbing out which is why I've shown 2 start points. But, you're the tatter, you make it the way you want. It could just as easily have one solid colour for the centre motifs, a complimentary colour for the 2nd row rings and a matching variegated for the outer chains. Or it could be all done in one colour. You decide. 

I'm back to hiding ends and making tassels. 

1 comment:

muskaan said...

I like the way you've alternated squares and diamonds! ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿงก
Many possibilities, thank you