Thursday, January 24, 2013

Elephant Flake

While looking for some examples of things that use spaghetti chains I came across the Elephant Snowflake. Years ago I was designing snowflakes and one of the patterns I created started well enough, but grew to enormous proportions. You can see from the picture that it measures almost 10 inches across which is far too large to hang on a Christmas tree, unless of course the tree is also gargantuan. After it was done it seemed to me to suffer from spaghetti chains, but to be honest, it's been kicking around in my tatting cabinet since 2008 and it's still holding it's shape, so maybe it isn't a lost cause after all.

This other little piece was an attempt at creating a doily with daisy shapes around the perimeter, but it definitely has spaghetti chains. There is no support, no structure and while the concept might have merit, the finished piece is just crap.

I also have this gorgeous piece which measures 15 inches from point to point and I love everything about it. It was intended as a gift for my sister, but since I haven't written out the pattern for it, she hasn't got it. That's all right, she doesn't know I was doing it for her and truthfully, in the years since it was completed, it's kind of taken up residence here, so I don't think she'll ever get it. I think I may have to do another design for her.

Since I have several unrecorded designs, I have been kicking around the possibility of putting them in a book, but it doesn't seem that people really tat doilies much any more, which means that the doilies would have to go in a book of mixed "stuff". My current batch of tatting to put it in a book projects are all quasi 3D which doesn't seem like a good fit. So maybe I'll just hang on to these and ponder the possibilities for a while or maybe inspiration will hit me like a bolt out of the blue. You never know, it could happen.

6 comments:

Maureen said...

Actually, Sharon....I DO tat doilies! My favurite projects, and they are fun to work on, now that we have the gorgeous coloured threads. Doilies and edgings - that's my ideal tatting book.

God's Kid said...

All those look nice!! I really like the extra large snowflake cuz' I would use it like a doily for a centerpiece or candle!! :)

Ladytats said...

I like that doily, I would be interesting in the pattern, you could sell the individual patterns on etsy, or through your blog for a couple bucks ~ less then the cost of a full book. I am tatting doilies in between other stuff, I have 2 nearly finished. All my kids want one, so that makes 7 for sure that I will do.

Anonymous said...

I would tat your doilies. They are lovely.

Unknown said...

It's beautiful, and I would love to tat it. I love tatting doilies!

Mrs. Fink said...

Book! Book! Book! I love tatting doilies (even if I have nothing to do with them when they're finished!) It's just such a sense of accomplishment!