Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Design Challenge 1B

I did another variation of from the design challenge and when it was done I wondered how it would look as a doily.

It has possibilities, but I'm not sure if I like it well enough to design an outer border that would bring it all together. Before you go shooting yourself for being slow, this doily is just a photo image copied and pasted. I wanted to see what the negative space would look like where they join. I like the join, but I'm not crazy about the outer edge. I think maybe it would need something to bring it all together and connect the outer points. I had no idea that the points were going to look so square, but it does make for an interesting design element.

Now there's an idea for an eight person round robin. The first person does a snowflake, the next 6 just make and attach a repeat of the first snowflake, and the last person has to do an outer round to finish it off before sending it home. So everyone would make 7 snowflakes, all different, and one round to finish off a doily, and everyone ends up with a doily which is mostly their own design.

5 comments:

Tattycat said...

Very pretty and interesting Sharon. I like the negative space, but also don't mind the outer edge. That does sound an interesting round robin.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I like the outer edge, Sharon... it's different. It kind of reminds me of the Greek key design, which has always been a favorite. Hmmm... do you think there are snowflakes in Greece?

Unknown said...

Don't ya just love computer programs for this sort of thing! I love how modern technology meets the old fashioned world of lacemaking. It makes for a beautiful marriage, I say! What a time saver! If something doesn't work, think of all the tatting time saved! LOL! It's great. Love the design.

Needledreams said...

I love it!!!! SO many designs from a single image. The RR sounds intriguing!

Gina said...

I gotta say I like the outer edge the way it is too. It's not too often you see the edges of a tatted doily squared off unless it is a mat.

:-) Gina